We did it. Tonight we broke the 15,000 prim limit that is artificially imposed on Second Life sims, and we did it, if I may say so, with quite a degree of aplomb and more than a bit of beauty and only a few screams & cries on my part.
Since I left off with only a few prims left in my ‘limit’, I promised I’d creep carefully closer till we fell or flew. And tonight, building out some little water birds, we flew as I fell over the 15,000 prim limit and into the future.
I am happy to report that altho Spirit is still running on a dainty little installation, she performed as well as she ever has. There were no more additional pains than usual, and the process of falling over the edge went beautifully. I am now well into uncharted areas and looking forward to seeing what my more robust build on the IBM Blade servers can really do. Now we drive towards the next goal, of adding new sims around Spirit and putting her into Grid mode on an industrial strength backend.
Of course, as the ability to add attachments, more scripting capabilities, and the like are added, I’ll gradually build up a store of avatar customization parts for my collaborators who have access to Spirit.
Spirit may well end up being rebuilt from scratch. Her current build was a “add as you go” experiences, using textures I had in one of my Photoshop directories. But it may be time to build unique textures just for Spirit and her sister sims, that I don’t use in my Second Life builds, and create a more impressive trail to ‘going first’ in Open Sim. My profound thanks, as ever, to my IBM team, who are an amazing group of wickedly intelligent (and often totally whack) people.
Thanks folks. You rock.